Developing Robot Assisted Therapy for Upper Limb Using Virtual Reality and Machine Learning
The proposed device aims to optimize the physical rehabilitation experience for patients with upper limb dysfunctionality via the usage of virtual reality games and customized therapy programs. The system will be provided with a variety of gaming scenarios for each patient and the movement will be determined based on the patient’s condition.
The proposed research aims to develop and enhance the commonly used rehabilitation systems for UL problems by combining three main technologies in one accurate system. The proposed system will be able to classify the problem in UL, and start the rehabilitation process through a variety of exercises using customized VR environments. The proposed study will focus on the following points:
- Developing and improving an assisting robot for therapy sessions that will be flexible to be used with different neurological cases as well as a wide range of ages.
- Combining the RAT technology with VR environments with different manners and flexibility of customization.
- Creating an adaptive system with high accuracy and precision by applying appropriate deep learning and machine learning algorithms. The result of this research will be a unique rehabilitation system that proposes a higher level of patient’s improvement and recovery with the ability to be specialized for each patient with minimum required effort.
- Journal 1:A Review of Upper Limb Robot Assisted Therapy Techniques and Virtual Reality Applications. [Accepted and will be published by the end of Jan 2022]
- Journal 2:Modeling and Control of a Novel Design of Series Elastic Actuator for Upper Limb Rehabilitation. [Accepted and will be published by the start of Feb 2022]