Faculty Office Ext.
Tarek Khalil Building
Dr. El-Mahdy is a full professor and the Dean of the School of Information Technology and Computer Science (ITCS) at Nile University; he was the Computer Science and Engineering department chair, and co-founder at the Egypt-Japan University of Science and Technology (E-JUST); and is on leave from the Computer and Systems Engineering Department at Alexandria University. He studied for a B.Sc. (1995) and an M.Sc. (1998) at Alexandria University. He obtained his Ph.D. from Manchester University, UK (2001), then worked as a temporary lecturer and a research associate at the APT group, contributing to parallel runtime systems. He was also a visiting scientist at IBM's CAS, Cairo, where he was the first inventor of many US patents and an IBM Cell experts worldwide team member. He also visited the ALF group at Inria, Rennes, France, contributing to parallelising compilers and obfuscation. He was also invited to present his work at the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Waseda, and Meisei University, Japan, on performance modelling and secure computation.
He has founded the Parallel Computing Lab at E-JUST and constructed many open-source cloud systems, with numerous funded research grants from IBM, Amazon, ITIDA, STDF, and ASRT in the intelligent transportation system, embedded compilers, high-performance GPU acceleration, high-performance computation on the cloud, and quantum computing engineering. Prof El-Mahdy also visited MIT's Media lab participating in D4D international competition. He is a senior member of the ACM and IEEE; and a full member of the Sigma Xi honour society. He is also a TPC member of ICCD, ARCS, and Supercomputing conferences. He co-founded a startup company whose idea won first prize at MIT Arab Startup Competition in 2017. He also established a CoderDojo with Bibliotheca Alexandrina as a volunteer to teach programming to kids. He also led the e-learning centre at Alexandria University.
- Winning the MIT Arab Start-up Competition: First Position in Ideas track for the Blink! project, 2017
- Winning the Arab Mobile Challenge 2016 for Blink! Automatic Accident Detection Operation
- Finalist in the D4D 2014 Competition, MIT, USA for the Mobile Big Data Map Matching Project
- Awarded many grants from IBM, STDF, ASRT, ITIDA and Amazon.
- Served on the ‘Steering Committee for Establishing E-JUST’, 2007.
- Served as TPC on ARCS, SC, ICCD conferences, reviewed many well-known journals and grant applications, and Qatar State Award.
- Full member at the Sigma Xi honour society, and senior member at both the ACM and IEEE.
- Having many filed and issued US patents.
- Established the parallel computing research lab at E-JUST
- Co-founded, and chaired the Computer Science and Engineering department, E-JUST
- Directed the E-Learning Centre at Alexandra University
- Quantum Computing
- Parallel Computing
- Dynamic Binary Translation
- Performance Modelling
- Cloud Computing