Service Desk Team leader
To be responsible for the day-to-day management of the IT Service Desk function within an allocated rota period developing a high-quality customer-focused IT Service Desk for all staff of the University, maximizing the first point of contact resolution rate and ensuring consistent response. Drive the incident and service request management process (based on ITIL Service Operation principles) through effective queue management, impact assessment, liaising and building relationships with Team Leaders and IT Managers and providing timely communications to the user community.
- Guide and support the Service Desk team dealing with incidents, service requests, and advice, ensuring correct prioritization of incidents and service requests based on impact to users to ensure agreed targets and service levels are met and appropriate quality standards achieved.
- Assist analysts in providing first-line support when workloads are high by carrying out Service Desk duties and performing quality assurance on all incidents.
- Negotiate resolution of incidents with appropriate IT Managers and Team Leaders, maintaining final ownership and ensuring speedy and effective resolution on behalf of users.
- Ensure appropriate skills are developed and maintained by the Service Desk Team and appropriate staffing and skill levels are maintained throughout operational hours by managing shift schedules to provide cover on telephone service and on counter service at both campuses.
- To identify and manage high-impact incidents in the absence of the Service Desk manager
- Escalate potential service level failures with appropriate IT managers and team leaders to achieve agreed service levels and act as the first escalation point in dealing with customer complaints.
- To identify trends and patterns of IT support needs, raise awareness of the need for change in policies, strategies, staff development, and resource allocation by the production of weekly rotas, and on effective use of Information technology.
- Maintain detailed knowledge of the University’s desktop hardware, software and operating systems, and broad knowledge of networking and server technologies.
- Act as super user of the IT service management software and analyze information to identify patterns and underlying problems, recommending solutions to IT Services Management Team.
- Monitor, review, evaluate, recommend and implement ICT support procedures, and techniques and adopt tools to achieve maximum quality, continuous service improvement and value for money.
- Contribute to the review and negotiation of the generic University-wide service level agreements, escalating where service level targets are at risk.
- Identify Service Desk staff training needs and in collaboration with the Service Desk Manager, ensure staff training and awareness sessions are provided as part of the change management process where new services/technologies are being implemented or where deployments may affect volumes of calls on the Service Desk.
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationships with all users and IT colleagues and work collaboratively to develop and provide integrated and seamless delivery of services to the University.
- Attend service liaison meetings with customer representatives and represent the Service Desk Manager in their absence.
- Engage with external agencies to identify and promote emerging technologies, and produce briefing papers for IT Services Management Team.
Education, Professional Knowledge and Experience Criteria:
- Bachelor’s degree in IT/Computer Science
- Minimum of 7 years of experience 2 of which in a supervisory position
- Substantial experience working in an IT support environment with significant experience in a Help Desk/Service Desk capacity.
- Hold or willing to work towards ISEB Foundation Certificate in IT Service Management and relevant ISEB practitioner certificates
- Very good understanding of IT Service provision in a medium to large organization and its impact on a wide and diverse user base
- Experience in Help Desk management systems
- Knowledge of Desktop Systems Hardware
- Knowledge of Desktop Operating Systems and Applications
- Broad knowledge of networking and server technologies
- Knowledge of relevant current and emerging technologies
- Knowledge of ITIL service desk, incident and problem management processes
- Understanding of the IT support needs of Higher Education
Behavioral and Leadership Profile
- Skills Leadership and organizational skills
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Analytical and Problem-solving skills
- Methodical and disciplined approach
- Working with technical references
- Time management skills
Very good command of English and Arabic