Civil & Infrastructure Engineering & Management (CIEM)
is to create in intellectual challenging and collaborative educational environment to excel in specialities of civil and infrastructure engineering for remarkable contributions to sustainable development (i.e. human, society, economical and environment) and achieve national and international recognition.
is to deliver competent engineers with knowledge, understanding, professional and academic integrity skills, management and leadership abilities, and entrepreneurship that are capable of creating innovative, applicable and sustainable solutions to the challenges facing the MENA region.
- To provide students with a comprehensive understanding of the knowledge-base of civil engineering design and construction of concrete and steel structures; infrastructure planning, design, operation and maintenance; project management; transportation systems design and logistics; wastewater treatment process and desalination.
- To offer a broad curriculum that provides state-of-the-art knowledge and practical skills in civil, infrastructure and project management.
- To provide a program that meets the professional requirements of all appropriate industrial corporations, both national and international.
- To provide a learning environment that enables students of high innate ability to reach their full potential, personally and academically, so that on graduation they are capable of and free to choose from many different careers in the job market.
In order to sustain innovation in education and research, and to satisfy the increasing job market needs for civil engineers, NU has introduced a new bachelors program in Civil & Infrastructure Engineering & Management (CIEM) that is unique in nature. This program do not only cover fundamental areas of civil engineering such as structures, concrete, steel, geotechnics, and construction management, but also focus on other areas related to infrastructure such as transport systems, water and wastewater engineering, whereas both are vital for many ongoing mega projects in Egypt and the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region.
The prominence of the CIEM program at NU is placed on the basics of civil and infrastructure modern design, construction, and operation techniques, and project management. Through a series of compulsory and elective courses, the students will be able to choose a specialization for their graduation project. Their area of specialization concludes with a capstone design and research experience.
- Track-1: Transportation Systems Engineering & Management (TSEM)
- Track-2: Water & Wastewater Engineering & Management (WWEM)
- Structural Analysis
- Reinforced Concrete Design
- Structural Steel Design
- Soil Mechanics
- Design and Construction of Foundations
- Construction Project Management
- Introduction to Transportation & Highway Engineering
- Fundamentals of Hydraulic Engineering
- Construction Engineering & Methods
- Infrastructure Asset Management
- Contracts & Commercial Management
The CIEM program provides a learning environment that enables students of high ability to reach their full potential, personally and academically. Graduated students would have the opportunity to select their focus of interest from multiple civil engineering areas, such as follows:
- Surveying engineer
- Geotechnical engineer
- Transportation engineer
- Irrigation engineer
- Concrete and steel designer
- Water and environmental engineer
- Construction and site engineer
- Project management
- Cost control engineer
- Quality control engineer
- Safety engineer
- Procurement and contracts
Sample of work entities:
- Contractor company
- Consulting firm
- Multinational corporation
- Governmental institutes
- Private companies
Sample of work sectors:
- Civil and construction sector
- Real estate development sector
- Strategic planning sector
- Oil and gas sector
- Energy sector
- Communications sector
- Reclamation sector