As the first national, autonomous, non-profit Research University in Egypt, NU believes that the role of the University should not be limited to awarding academic degrees and conducting research, but, possibly just as importantly, to raising awareness in the community, sparking interest of youth in innovation, science and technology and providing opportunities to enjoy culture and arts thus extending the impact of the University on the Community as a whole rather than just on its immediate stakeholders.
Nile University allocated much of its time and efforts to community outreach events since its establishment with a variety of activities and initiatives targeting different segments of the society:
Connecting with the business community through seminars and conferences on subjects of current interest open to the public.
Following are examples of such events that have taken place recently:
- NU Business Canvas Model Workshop.
- Islamic Finance Workshop
- Finance for Entrepreneurs
- Building Bridges between Egyptian NGOs and CSRs
Supporting student groups from other public and private universities by hosting their events at NU premises and providing them with training and mentorship from NU faculty and staff.
- Egyptian Engineering Day : NU sponsored the Egyptian Engineering Day in 2012 and 2013 and provided sessions and awards to winners.
- Egy Science Festival : NU provided hosting to the Egy Science Festival at the Smart Village, judging of teams, workshops and connecting the participants to ASRT for funding.
- Start-Up Mania : Nile University has hosted start-Up Mania, an student event organized by IEEE MUST Student Branch at NU campus from September 24th through 26th 2014. The event provided ideation training for over 100 participants coming from different universities from all over Egypt over the span of 3 days under the theme energy crisis. Start Up Mania also featured motivational speakers from the fields of technology, entrepreneurship and NGOs with the aim of encouraging youth to take initiative and explore possibilities of turning challenges into opportunities. Supporting student organizations in providing entrepreneurship awareness is part of the mandate of Nilepreneur, an NU initiative established 2 years earlier.
Raising awareness about entrepreneurship and innovation and providing capacity building, technical and non-technical support for start-ups, SMEs, governmental and non-governmental bodies:
Nile University Social Entrepreneurship Club (NUSEC):
Realizing the economic situation in Egypt as well as the drive for youth to take action, Nile University Social Entrepreneurship Club was founded in May 2012 aiming to foster social entrepreneurship in Egypt and the region through providing a student run platform by which its members can access entrepreneurial opportunities, network with peers and alumni, and add to their personal growth.
-Several of Nile University’s research output and applications of academic theories have been spun-off during the past seven years into technology-based start-ups that work in close connection with NU’s research centers and programs.
Training and Capacity Building
Resulting in 32 offices launched across the nation
Spreading Cultural Awareness
Nile University is cooperating with El Sawy Culture Wheel on the revival of cultural activities within the area of Sixth of October with the aim of spreading culture awareness and providing an opportunity for a larger segment of the public to communicate with the various arts.